- About Us
How a Russian immigrant and the proceeds of a pawned wedding ring founded a sustainable cooling solution powerhouse.
Over 80 Years of Innovation
After fleeing Moscow with his family, Baltimore Aircoil Company founder, John Engalitcheff Jr. immigrated to Baltimore around 1924. Soon after, the Engalitcheffs sold nearly everything they owned to send him to Johns Hopkins University to study engineering. Upon graduation in 1930, he was hired at a local refrigeration company.
In 1938, he hand-built an AC coil in a garage and pawned his wife Virginia’s wedding ring to start Baltimore Aircoil Company. He went on to develop 47 patents, 23 of them in the field of evaporative cooling devices. In 1996, he was inducted into the ASHRAE Hall of Fame.
Today the pioneering spirit of John Engalitcheff Jr. lives on in the innovative products and commitment to excellence of a company that continues to lead the way in the development of truly sustainable cooling solutions
- 1938 – John Engalitcheff Jr. founded Baltimore Aircoil launching the first blow–through evaporative condenser
- 1955 – Modularly manufactured and packaged cooling equipment
- 1962 – International expansion begins with Europe and Pacific Rim
- 1966 – BAC opens Madera, CA plant
- 1968 – BAC opens Belgium plant
- 1972 – BAC opens Australian plant
- 1974 – BAC opens Milford, DE plant
- 1975 – BAC expands operations to Latin America
- 1980 – BAC opens Italy plant
- 1981 – Baltibond™ Corrosion Protection System introduced
- 1982 – Ice Chiller™ Thermal Storage Unit
- 1983 – First CTI Certified Cooling Tower manufacturer (FXT)
- 1985 – Amsted Industries purchases BAC
- 1995 – FXV Closed Circuit Cooling Tower with Combined Flow
- 1997 – Eurovent Certification in Europe started; operations in Asia established
2000's - Present
- 2002 – HXV Hybrid Cooler
- 2005 – BAC moves Global Headquarters to Jessup, MD
- 2015 – ENDURADRIVE® Fan System
- 2018 – Nexus® Modular Hybrid Cooler
- 2020 – BAC acquires Coil Design Corporation in Dayton, TN
- 2021 – BAC opens Dalian, China plant; BAC acquires Eurocoil SP
- 2022 – Stay tuned . . .